Wednesday 18 January 2012

Queue & Aay with Rebecca Crosbie...

   I had the greatest pleasure in having a chat with this little firecracker about her closely guarded work. Rebecca Crosbie enjoys the quiet, still, post lived spaces of abandoned buildings and captures the fragile remains of space in hundreds of photographs. Whether it be a decaying manor house or witnessing the crumbling demise of demolition Crosbies' images piece together lives that once lived.

Q. When did this attraction to abandonment begin and how did it evolve?

A. I think I was about fourteen, there was an abandoned house near my parents farm which I explored with my sister. It was the starting point to a very much involved and passionate fascination. Since then I've shot over 60 locations ranging from cinemas to asylums, ships and leisure centers.

Q. Tell us about the process of finding and shooting?

A.  I do a lot of driving around and make a note of passing places. Keeping a keen eye out on the internet is also helpful. When I've found a place you can generally get a feel of whether it'll be a good interesting place to go. I never force entry and accessibility is usually fairly easy, these places have been left for years and more often than not I have not been the first visitor.
     A tripod is a must but I try to keep equipment to a minimum there has been a fair amount of climbing and falling through floors in some places.

Q. And the photographs?

A. Even though I've studied arts these images where not intended for a particular project. It was something for me. It was a personal interest, not for some brief set for a module on a course. I capture the final time and place but also research the history to these buildings, what happened to the people, business and families.
















Crosbie is also helping craft a very exciting new a photography collective venture known as
The North London Darkroom launching on February 14th, please find more info in this newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment